Administrative Division and Population

  Huangpu was once governed by Panyu County from Qin Dynasty to Qing Dynasty. During the reign of Emperor Guangxu, the present Yuzhu Sub-district, Huangpu Sub-district, Dasha Sub-district, Wenchong Sub-district, Hongshan Sub-district, Suidong Sub-district, Nangang Sub-district and Lilian Sub-district were parts of the townships, Hengshapu, Nangangpu and Qishepu respectively, of Lubu Si, Panyu County; Changzhou Sub-district was part of the township, Binshe, of Jiaotang Si, Panyu County. During National Public of China, Huangpu remained under administration of Panyu County. In the 20th year of National Public (1931), the townships and villages of Huangpu belonged to Binshe of Zone II, Huangcunpu of Zone IV, Huangshapu and Nangangpu of Zone V and Qishepu. At beginning of New China, Huangpu was still under Panyu County, covering Binshe Township of Zone III, Huangcun Township of Zone IV, Huangsha Township, Nangang Township and Qishe Township of Zone V. In 1951, Guangzhou adjusted administrative division and put Huangpu under the administration of Guangzhou proper. In December, 1951, Huangpu was established as a district for the first time. In January, 1953, Huangpu People’s Government was founded. In 1956, Guangzhou established Suburb People’s Committee and included Huangpu into the suburb, by which the primary administrative status of Huangpu was cancelled for the first time. In May 1960, CPC Guangzhou Municipal Committee decided to cancel the division of downtown area and suburb, divide the city into East, South, West and North Central Areas (People’s Communes) and found 3 people’s communes, Huangpu, Fangcun and Jiangcun, with industrial and mining enterprises as the body. In July, 1960, all of them were changed to district administrations, by which Huangpu was established as a district for the second time. In August 1962, on approval of Guangdong Provincial People’s Committee, Guangzhou Provincial People’s Committee decided to combine the three districts, Huangpu, Fangcun and Jiangcun, and establish Guangzhou Suburb People’s Committee, by which the primary administrative status was cancelled for the second time. In 1973, to facilitate foreign-oriented work of the harbor and develop industry and agriculture, on approval of the State Council, Huangpu District was established again, which has been the third time to establish Huangpu as a district. In November 1973, Huangpu District Revolutionary Committee was founded. In July 1980, Huangpu District held the first People’s Congress and founded the First People’s Congress Standing Committee and the first People’s Government of Huangpu District, where edition of district started to be counted. In 1990, Huangpu District governed 3 towns, including Dasha, Nangang and Changzhou, and 4 sub-districts, including Huangpu, Yuzhu, Hongshan and Xiagang. In August 2002, Huangpu District cancelled administration of the s towns and set 6 sub-districts, Dasha, Wenchong, Nangang, Suidong, Lilian and Changzhou. Meanwhile, villages were replaced by neighborhood communities, covering Hengsha, Jitang, Maogang, Shuangsha, Wenchong, Jiusha, Nangang, Shabu, Xiayuan, Miaotou, Nanji, Shenjing and Changzhou, known as transformed communities. Now, Huangpu District started to govern 10 sub-district offices and 58 neighborhood communities, including 16 transformed communities. According to the decision of Guangzhou Municipal Government, Huangpu District turned over, from 0:00 January 24, 2003, Bigang Neighborhood Community, Lilian Sub-district, to Guangzhou Economic and Technological Development District (GETDD) Management Committee, covering all administration, social affairs as well as staff, property, creditor’s right and debts under the community or its branches; According to the decision of Guangzhou Municipal Government, from 0:00 May 24, 2003, all administration within the jurisdiction of Xigang Sub-district Office was taken over by GETDD Management Committee. In November 2005, the two governments of Huangpu District and Luogang District entered into Administration Division Agreement, by which Donghui Plaza (including Xiayuan Farmers’ Apartment) of Huangpu District, East Zone of GETDD (the part of Canglian Neighborhood Community, where GETDD has acquired land), GETDD Science City (the part of Jitang Neighborhood Community, where GETDD has acquired land) and Guangzhou Bonded Area were transferred under administration of Luogang District. At end of 2007, the administration of Huangpu District covers 9 sub-district offices, including Nangang, Huangpu, Hongshan, Dasha, Yuzhu, Changzhou, Wenchong, Suidong and Lilian, represented by 57 residents’ committees and 1138 residents’ groups. In October 2008, Huangpu District founded Jinbilingxiu Neighborhood Community Residents’ Committee, Wechong Sub-district. In July, 2009, Jinganghuayuan Neighborhood Community Residents’ Community, Huangpu Sub-district, was founded. By end of 2011, the District governed 9 sub-district offices and 59 neighborhood community residents’ committees as mass autonomous organizations of the residents.

  In 2011, the registered population in the District was 66,498 households and 201,290 people, including male 107,743 and female 93,547.